SharePoint 2010 errors

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:04 PM

I downloaded and installed the AD tools for SharePoint 2010.  I keep getting an error when trying to add a field to expose.  I have filled out the fields as such, Domain Name:  I have tried bot the domain name and ad server ip address,  username/password:  I am using a valid login and password and have tried domainmame\user. user@domain etc.  I then click save for the LDAP settings.  I proceed to the next area to expose some fields for editing.  I tried adding displayName/Display Name and first get "unspecified error" on the first click.  After that I get "Unable To Read Active Directory. Please Check That The LDAP Path, Username and Password Are Valid" as the error.



Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for making this web part.

 

Rick

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Hi Rick

Thanks so much for the feedback!

I find that most of these errors come from the very finicky nature of the LDAP connection string.

Usually, the LDAP connection string looks something like this (and it's case sensitive)...

LDAP://mycompany.com

Now your domain may be called DOMAIN, but you enter the LDAP connection string using the actual domain name, not the AD domain.

The username should be entered without prefixing it with a domain.

Also, make sure that the account you are using has rights to read AD - it should - but you never know.  In order to perform the update, you will need to have delegated rights over any user accounts that might use this tool.

Try these things and let me know if this works for you.  Using "displayName" for the field should be fine...