Odd behavior with some user accounts.

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:39 PM
The web part works ok for some accounts but not for others. It is set to access the root of the domain. When I use it with an account that is affected, the web part opens 1386 connections to the domain controller on port 389 in about 10 seconds. When that number of connections is reached the application pool restarts. (I used portmon from systernals.com to check this).  The connections indicate a "TIME_WAIT" status.

The issue occurs always in the same accounts, but never in the accounts that do work ok. I'm trying to identify the difference between the account but no luck so far. The user accounts have proper access to SharePoint. I even cleared all attributes in the accounts affected. If I copy the account to create a new one, the issue is carried to the new account.

Is it possible that the web part is getting in a loop state? How could I debug this condition?
Thanks.

Coordinator
Apr 29, 2009 at 5:52 PM
Make sure that the user accounts that are not working are set to inherit policies.
Apr 29, 2009 at 7:27 PM
Your are the man!
That was the problem. Thanks a lot.

Do you have a short explanation as of why that is an issue? Or is there a specific policy that must be inherited in order to work? I only use the tool the update user info.
Thanks again.
Coordinator
Jun 29, 2009 at 2:03 PM

I'm not sure exactly why this happens.  I just know that it happens when you use an account that has been delegated control as opposed to using a domain admin account.  If you use a domain admin account, this will not be an issue.